Thursday, June 24, 2010

We Always Treat Women Too Well

We Aways Treat Women Too Well by Raymond Queneau is a novel that a pulp erotical novel that was set in place in England around 1940. When I first encountered the novel, it was very difficult to read and understand what the author was saying, thus sometimes forced me to go back to the front of the page and read again to understand what was going on in the novel, I assume it was because of my lack of English reading skill or the not-the-best French to English translation. Thus it sometimes bored me to keep reading on. However it contained some sexual scenes and humor part in it to prevent me from stop reading(Who hates humor and sex?). During the scenes of the Irish rebels and Gertie taking a hold of her hostage within the Dublin post office, I especially can’t help myself to squirm and laugh uncomfortably at the same time. In page 78, there was a little script about the Gallagar’s reaction to a certain situation. ‘It’s her bootees that got on his nerves, every so often they made a noise, with their high heels’. I’m surprised to find that Gallagar still had some kind of sexual attraction to the dead body of a female when he tried to move the corps. In my opinion Queneau was spoofing a particularly low-class a particularly low-class style of sadistic and erotic thriller. I found this novel the oddest, yet a wonderfully bizarre piece of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment