Sunday, June 13, 2010

Silence and Confusion

Silence was an interesting poem. It actually makes a lot of sense. The entire idea of the poem is that silence doesn’t really exist. Silence can never exist, unless everything in the world is dead. Everything has a sound. The insects walking around, the grass blowing, the wind moving around the room; it all has some form of sound. I like the poem because of the examples it uses to demonstrate the nonexistence of silence. I think the line which demonstrates it well was "Perfect silence is not, because all parts of like are vigilant and audible. A blade of grass emits an /enormous and menacing sound like a 420 which rises towards the heavens." I really feel as if that epitomizes the idea of the poem. However, I found it interesting the turn the poem takes in the last stanza. Finally, after describing that Silence does not exist, the first line is 'A Silence Falls.' Honestly, the last stanza confuses me a great deal. I'm wondering what the scene here was. I get the picture of a man wandering through a field looking for survivors, or surviving soldiers after some massive attack. Here is where I find myself confused, because, to me, its as if the two ideas are not cohesive. Up to the last stanza, the language is interesting, the poetic and the strength of the words. It pulls out odd references, such as grass and soil, and makes them powerful, but not in a mystical or unrealistic way. I think it does a great job with emphasizing the role of everything in life without personifying it, which can come across as clichĂ©. It's a very in-depth analysis. I approve J

4 comments:

  1. My thoughts exactly, silence is a feature of a primordial world that has ceased to exist due to the existence of life. And I agree that it is confusing and is subject to countless interpretations because the poem is like a dichotomy of what silence is and what it is not and then a sudden twist occurs and the reader is as lost as when he/she first began reading the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Anastasia. I was with the author until the last stanza. That is where I got confused as well. I felt like the references were odd too but I think that they were fitting due to the power they brought to the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took this poem to be the description of a post apocalyptic world that had been ravaged by nuclear weapons.

    "In spite of the cataracts of grave thunder which eternally reverberate throughout time and the reign of
    cutting cries when steel separates its atoms"



    My interpretation of the last part of this poem was that even god was shocked at the sudden stand-still that the world had come to by way of mankind's childish actions.


    "The fist of God is suspended over the drums of war: his skin is the heavens held over the edge of the horizon, and it resounds of all the depths of the world over the terror of men.
    In the cross, I find thirty men who were thirty little children gathered by terror.
    I am gone in search of glory."

    ReplyDelete