Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Story as You Like It

The story itself here is bland; the idea though is rather intriguing. As I first read it, the format of the text reminded me right away of most programming languages’ if – else statements, and how annoying they are to read through and debug if you are unfamiliar with the code. Taking it for face value forever I read it a couple of times, putting up with the format. I made sure I made different decisions at different points just to make things different. This text instantly reminded me of those Goosebumps, choose your own adventure, books that I always seemed to die in by the fourth branch of the story, way back in the 3rd grade. It is a style that is different, but I would much rather prefer a cohesive and linear story to this any day.

Recently taking an introductory graph theory class, the figure shown on the last page of the reading, which represents the story as a graph, intrigued me. Breaking down possible paths, starting from the first branch statement and following the flows of decisions, and eventually ending, a reader has the potential to create a number of unique stories from such a small amount of written material. The story is simple, and boring to be blunt, but the idea of being able to branch off and develop stories unique to reader’s decisions the spot is mathematically fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment