Wednesday, June 16, 2010

We always treat women too well

We always treat women too well
I am sorry for the late response this week. The reading was little bit hard to understand to me, so it took too much time. The reading ‘We always treat women too well’ was kind of boring to me at first. However, this book attracted my interests of the war. The writing style was kind of confuse and hard to understand. The language was kind of new to me, and it showed some funny things. Queneaus’s word choice was not easy to understand, but it gave me a lot of interest of the rest of reading.

4 comments:

  1. The war aspects of the reading are what hooked me initially as well. I did enjoy the wording though. By wording things differently than I would have anticipated, it allowed Queneau's description of images to remain vivid throughout the duration of the rebellion.

    If he would have used the straightforward description of the events occurring, a more cut and dry approach, I wouldn't have enjoyed reading past the fifth page. The play on words and original descriptions kept it fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it was hard to follow. The transitions were more suited for something visual. For example, We say a steamy romantic scene, then we just skip to guys in a group. Bad transitions for books, great for movies, when the signal of a changing scene is more apparent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel as though although the transitions were difficult, they gave something new to the novel. If anything the randomness of the transitions made the novel more enjoyable to read in my opinion. I mean, I had an extremely hard time trying to understand what was going on at the beginning of the novel, however, by the tenth chapter, I felt as though I had somewhat understood his writing style. And I agree with James, straightforward descriptions would have made this novel dry. It is Queneau's word choices which really make the novel unique and humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree too...that's why I am taking so long in making my post. Its hard to follow and strange transitionally. I like some of the lines though. Like God save the queen, and I found it amusing in the beginning when they called the women squawking hens. It gave me the impression that not much has changed.

    ReplyDelete