Sunday, June 13, 2010

We Always Treat Women Too Well

This novel was definitely something new and intriguing. In my opinion the language was very fresh and casual, along with being undeniably funny, which actually made it a great read. I loved Queneau’s word choices, which only added to the overall humor of the novel, for example on the very first page Queneau describes the death of the doorman as a bullet being injected into his noggin. I am not going to lie, I did have an extremely hard time at the beginning on the novel, trying to understand what was happening between these extremely short chapters, however by chapter ten, I had gotten use to Queneau’s style. I cannot emphasize how much I enjoyed Quenaeu’s laid back use of language throughout the novel. Throughout the dialogue between the characters and the descriptions of all the events, the casual tone of novel only made it that much easier to imagine the story as if it were a movie or a play. I especially enjoyed the chapters in which Gertie tried to stay hidden in the ladies room. Everything she was doing and thinking was so ridiculously hilarious, for example, when she heard footsteps outside of the ladies room, the first thing she thought to do was fix her hair. She also thought that just because she was in the ladies room she would be safe because no one else would be allowed to come in.

1 comment:

  1. Its amazing how fresh and casual the language in this story still is by today's standards. I wonder if the French version is still as fresh and casual.

    ReplyDelete