Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Repetition :-)

This was indeed an odd article. I must say, a problem in my writing is I often repeat myself. I think this article helped me to understand why. When I repeat an idea over and over, it's usually because I am trying to convey the same feeling I have about it. However, it is difficult-near impossible- to dictate an emotion being felt. As this feeling of not being able to describe something makes us pause, we are forced to repeat it. However, the idea of the writing was interesting, that life is all about repetition. However, I will say there was a great deal of repetition in the essay. It reminds me of my writing; lengthy, but usually a repetition of the same idea over and over. His style reminded me of Virginia Wolf, and the whole 'Stream of Consciousness' type of writing. As you are reading the account of the opera, the narrator interjects with his own side-thoughts, which makes you very aware that it's a story being told. However, you can often sense his frustration at not being able to describe a specific feeling or thought. It is at these moments I fall into a dilemma. Is it good that I am able to sense the narrator's frustration as he struggles to describe feelings and emotions, or is it bad that I am unable to feel these emotions he does? Is it good writing or not? I like the writing, he gives great descriptions. However, it reminds me of another story I read which annoyed me a great deal (I know I shouldn't say this.) Anna Karenina seemed the same way; a great deal of descriptions of locations, metaphors and lots of other 'fillers'. I feel as if both authors are using lengthy metaphors and descriptions as a means of compensation for not being able to adequately describe a feeling. It's hard to describe a feeling. I know that. But Don't try to fool me and make me think you are actually describing it when you aren't. It's impossible, I can't feel what you felt an hour or so ago. It's interesting when he tries, but perhaps it's my frustration at going around in circles. Again, I write this way as well. Pot calling kettle black I suppose J

No comments:

Post a Comment