Saturday, June 19, 2010

Secret Journal

I really liked Secret Journal. It has a Mrs.-Dalloway-meets-Catcher-in-the-Rye feel to it. I'm a sucker for stories which seem too personal, where reading them seems almost taboo (I mean, what’s more personal to a person than their Journal?) However, this was a good read. The beginning was very curious, as it sounded Freudian. the whole idea of not being a complete stream of thought, but a series of flashback was interesting. However, I was confused because, I was reading then I read a part about him cutting himself. I was confused, however it seemed perfect in the way the story was told. Even though the instances in his childhood seemed odd, such as the cutting incident. However, I liked how it transitioned and when the odd moments came up, it wasn't shocking. It just flowed. It really seemed to resemble 'Catcher in the Rye.' However, as much as I disliked that story, I liked Secret Journal J

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you said his childhood seemed odd. I thought I was the only one ho felt that way. I thought that the way he told the story was flowy but strange as well. That's what gave me the whole catcher in the rye feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how his actions during his youth seemed odd, but the overall reason for them seems to make sense and connect with many of us. He basically didn't want to grow old, he wanted "to stay faithful to his youth." I personally connected with his emotions though I still do not understand his actions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you mentioned the similarities between this piece of writing and Catcher in the Rye. They both have that same dark, brooding feeling to them, don't they? I know a lot of people disliked Catcher in the Rye, but it was one of those books that was either loved or hated. I happened to love both Catcher in the Rye and Secret Journal.

    ReplyDelete