Sunday, June 13, 2010

Silence (Poem + Response to Dominic's post)

A Ha! I finally figured out how to get this posting thing right ( don't judge me please =o) ).
I just finished reading the poem Silence. I found it a bit thought provoking. At first when I was reading it, although I appreciated the descriptiveness of the poem I was not 100% sure as to what the author was talking about in some of his descriptions. I felt like he was speaking about the end of the world, and in some lines maybe war. " The fist of God is suspended over the drums of war: his skin is the heavens held over the edge of the horizon, and it resounds of all the depths of the world over the terror of men". I like this line, I feel like it references war and/or the end, or at least what we as humans/mortals may perceive it to be. But that may be a bit too obvious so who knows. I wasn't completely sure so I read some of my classmate's posts, particularly Dominic's.
While reading Dominic's post I can say that I found some similar thoughts about what the poem was about. I also got the impression that we both appreciated the descriptiveness of the poem. I was also kind of confused by the end of the poem about the " search for glory". My favorite part of Dominic's post was when he said that he interpreted the line I quoted above as the time when you decide to go to war or not. I agree that the author's method of description was intense and beautiful at that moment. I enjoyed it as well. My personal favorite other than that line was the second line of the poem; "We are at the time of a beginning, when the spirit of God flies over the chaos of our times". It reminds me of now, with all of today's current tragedies, "natural" disasters and wars, God's spirit is still ever present, everywhere ( I am a strong believer in God). Overall I enjoyed this poem and its descriptiveness.

2 comments:

  1. That is interesting how you pointed out the omnipotent nature of God. It is present all throughout the poem and I think now upon further deliberation I can see how the author was strong spiritually and kept in mind God's presence as he considered the characteristics of silence and noise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that this "time of a beginning" was also the time of and end of something more familiar to us. I guess even absolute silence can be deafening.

    ReplyDelete