Saturday, June 11, 2011

Response

The Instant of my death

Through out of reading the book of My Instant Death/Demeure by Maurice Blanchot & Jacques Derrida, It was little hard for me to get the concept of the book. However, I couldn’t give up on reading continuously to get what the writer points out. At the first time I saw the title of the book, I thought that the author used a word of death as physically ends; however, the author described the word as not only physical death but also emotional one. Emotional one could be more comprehended in philosophic idea.

It is hard for everyone to compare a book to another book, or criticize others based on your own thought. What can be fiction or non-fiction? I want to share my idea of them as long as I understood the book. Fiction is what we can make or create. We create everything imaginably as we want. But this might contains our knowledge or literatures. In compare, non-fiction is more like based on our experiences, truth and“testimony”; the author stated in the book that there is no testimony that does not structurally imply in itself the possibility of fiction.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. Fiction is what you can create and non-fiction rests on testimony. As Derrida argues, a testimony almost always is autobiographical because it explains the story of what happened to me alone in the first person narrative. Contrary, fictional literature can say anything, accept anything, and create anything. I think it is interesting how the English language can be crafted in so many different ways, which is so important to the story's translation. For example, as Derrida claims, "One can read the same text as a testimony that is serious, authentic, documented, archive, or a literary fiction" (Derrida 29). Literature has an amazing ability to represent so many different experiences because of how an individual will interpret the language. I think this is also a good argument as to why a lot of fiction seems so real.

    ReplyDelete