Thursday, June 16, 2011

Blumenberg.

Blumenberg- Care Crosses the River

Throughout of reading the book of Blumenberg’s Care Crosses the River has me realized the concept of what the real and natural world is. First time of reading this book, it was little complicated to get to the point. There were in the book interesting sections such as enemies, however I loved Something Like a World Order the most out of those sections. The author, Blumenberg, points out that reality always connects to the truth from our consciousness. The world we live in is so random that give us different or similar experiences. In addition, using metaphor is significant so that we can compare our experiences because it is in relation to reality and the truth. From comparing our experiences, we could affirm our specificities and traits, in other words, we know the difference from each other.

Another section I enjoyed to read is enemies. There were two men hating each other on the ship. One was settled on the stern, and the other one was on the bow. When the ship was getting to sink, one settled on the stern was happy and could able to enjoy the moment by scoffing other about he would die later. It came to me first with little confusion to relate this to metaphor. However, I finally figured out how the author used metaphor in this situation if I wasn’t wrong. Human tends to have more happiness and satisfaction on better circumstances by comparing others. In other words, if I make 100 dollars more in a week but more working days from part-time job than my acquaintance, I would not only be proud of myself but also show off to them. However, it apparently is the same by third people’s view. I mean, we make the similar amount of money from similar job, but I make myself more proud by comparing other who has less ability. Blumenberg points out that one would rather realize how much suffering he’s been through to get better than being proud by comparing other one.

1 comment:

  1. I also really enjoyed reading "Something Like a World Order" because of how Blumenburg argued reality is always connected to experience and truth. That really made me think of questions like how could you explain something to someone else if they never experienced it? I found a lot of connections to Blumenburgs piece as if I was explaining something to a child that asked about something they might not have experienced. It also made me laugh thinking about how many questions little kids have. I also thought you explained this nicely... "From comparing our experiences, we could affirm our specificities and traits, in other words, we know the difference from each other. " Great response!

    ReplyDelete