Thursday, June 23, 2011


Jamie Hall
COLI 211
Professor Rowan Tepper
Response #3

Happiness is an idea and feeling that is difficult to define, identify, and understand. Prior to reading Blumenberg I thought that it was an
idea that was easy to pin down. Unfortunately, that is not so.

What I got from the reading was that Blumenberg believes that there is no exact definition or source of happiness, and
what it is changes from person to person. I believe that this ties a lot into what Blumenberg speaks about, in that
most things are not static, and are instead always changing.

The idea that “If Care Is Objective, Happiness Must Be Subjective”, sums up this section perfectly. My happiness is subjective to
various things, and those things are not necessarily what may make someone else happy. I may be happy one day, but that feeling
is subjective to other events and occurences that I encounter in that same day. I can be happy in the morning because I had a great breakfast, yet
that happiness could be gone by the afternoon if I find that I haven't done well on an exam.

An idea that really stood out to me was the prohibition of happiness. I feel that as humans, we prohibit ourselves from being happy often
if what makes us happy does not conform to the standard idea of what happiness should be. Blumenberg clearly feels that there is no standard
of happiness, yet in a sense I disagree because I feel that we are often inundated with ideas of what is and what is not supposed to make us happy.
Puppies rolling in grass is supposed to make us happy, but lions chasing down gazelles shouldn't, and while neither of these things make every single
person happy or unhappy, if we do not appear to conform to what is supposed to make us happy, we know that we will be marginalized, and looked
at as the "other". This idea leads into a whole lot of other larger ones, such as why we feel the need to conform so strongly that we would
prohibit ourselves from happiness.

I greatly preferred this reading to our previous book because it generated in me a greater desire to really think about what Blumenberg is implying.
Beyond just what he is saying, it made me really think about what happiness is, something that most people probably wouldn't think about on a daily basis,
and that made me happy.

2 comments:

  1. Good post. I agree, in this age and with all of our media saturation, we are being told how to be happy and what makes us happy. When in reality, no two people are the same. When a puppy makes me happy, it may not make others happy, because we all define our own happiness. I think this may be why many people are unhappy, they try to force themselves to be happy based on what we are told should make us happy.

    PS. I agree, this book was so much better! It stirred up greater ideas and connections (at least for me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the last line of this post :)

    ReplyDelete