Thursday, June 16, 2011

Response on Blumenberg 2

SaeRom Sung
Coli 221Z – Summer ‘11
Professor Rowan Tepper
6/16/11

Second passage I decided to write about is ‘Cursing the Sea’. The passage is about blaming others for a cause. The blame starts from a shaped woman to all the way to the Earth. I thought the passage’s message and its moral lesson was very obvious. But, I had to think about myself in terms of how I tend to refuse to take the responsibility of many things.

After reading the passage, I had to think about what to relate in the reality to the passage. There were two thoughts that came to my mind. Obviously, the first thought was me. There was an incident where I got into a fight with one of my closest friends. The incident was about missing mp3 player. I blamed her for losing my mp3 and she blamed me for losing it. Now that I think of it, it was a stupid fight because it’s just a little mp3. If I did not blame on her in first place, we would not have gotten that far with the fight. Second thought that came to my mind was the government people. I am not a political person, so I do not want to go too details on it. It looks like government people do not want to take the responsibility on the things they might have mistaken. For example, Rep. Anthony Weiner did blame the young girls for the sexual chats and picture sharings. He even blamed his name for the cause by saying everyone makes things up because of his name. At the end, he did admit that it was his fault, and he ended up resigning from his job. It is very obvious that he made a mistake, but he started to blame on others for what he did. I think if he admitted his wrongdoing in the first place, then things might have been better for him in terms of his relationship with his supporters. It is pretty clear that Mr. Weiner will not have any supporters for awhile.

To sum up, when I take a look at historical great leaders, they were all responsible for their actions. The passage delivers an obvious moral message that people should learn how to be responsible, not passing blame. I think we all have to think about our actions first before blaming others.

1 comment:

  1. This passsage also spoke to me. I connected it to the Nazi soldiers blaming their leaders. But the moral of the story is to not pass blame, but always take responsibility for your actions. This passage actually made me revise many of my own thoughts and ideas. In the past, I would blame people in charge of me or who had influence over me. But comparing that idea to the actions of the Nazis is definatly a comparison that made me want to change.

    ReplyDelete