Sunday, May 30, 2010

"Repetition"

The author of this literary piece has a unique style of writing in my opinion. At the start of the passage he sounds like he is talking in circles and merely just rambling about the importance and significance of repetition versus recollection. However, as the passage proceeded I came to realize that Kierkegaard uses a lot of metaphors in his writing. For instance, he describes the scene of the young man in love to "a grape at the peak of its perfection" and the way the juice of the grape trickles when it is cut open, which he compares to the way he imagines the young man's blood would flow in the veins and out a wound. He uses the example of the young man in love to demonstrate to the reader the superiority of repetition over recollection.

Sandra Olascoaga

1 comment:

  1. I'm still having trouble with this posting thing... but here goes:
    In my personal opinion, Kierkegaard’s style of writing is, for a lack of a better word, pretty. I felt like some parts were long and drawn out but overall the metaphors brought out the points that he was trying to make. I agree with my classmate Alexander that Kierkegaard’s style is “forceful and filled with lofty idea, is also very delicate”. Reading through everything I feel like his style of writing says a lot about his character and personality. I also feel like his style of writing made it a bit more interesting because on top of being “pretty” and somewhat poetic, it was story like which made it interesting.

    In terms of his writing under a pen name, I think that it’s just a way of him allowing himself to take his artistic license wherever he wants to go. By being someone else he can write in any form that he chooses. It gives him more room to explore that he may not have afforded being himself. I feel that the story is also what keeps you interested and makes his philosophical findings something for you to read and to understand his points and ideas. I also like how his metaphors and story about love brought the readers to the point that recollection is more important than repetition. You can remember things, but the way you remember them aren’t necessarily going to be the way that you will be able to repeat them and have that exact same turn of events.

    ReplyDelete